Screening Of Breeding Bulls For Chromosomal And Dna Aberrations
Why get tested?
The occurrence of genetic diseases in farm animals is world-wide, causing much economic and production loss. Besides propagating such mutation in population, the animal also suffers with disease or syndrome condition even in heterozygous condition. Use of elite bull semen for propagation on large scale without screening for lethal or semi-lethal mutations in their genome could prove catastrophic. Therefore, genetic screening has become an essential prerequisite in breeding dairy and other farm animals, so that affected animals do not get selected for breeding purpose. Cytogenetic and molecular screening techniques have the potential to undercover hidden defective chromosomes and genes. These simple technologies are popular as they are reliable, accurate and cost effective. Cytogenetic and molecular screening of all breeding males has been made essential under National Programme on Cattle and Buffalo breeding (NPCBB) to keep our farm animals free of genetic defects caused by chromosomal abnormalities or nucleotide mutations. Minimum Standards of Protocol and Standard Operating Procedures for Bovine Breeding have been formulated and published by Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying & Fisheries, Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India, in 2014. It is now necessary that all animals be karyotyped to rule out any chromosomal defects. Specific tests may also be conducted for genetically transmitted diseases-Factor XI deficiency syndrome, Bovine Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency (BLAD), Citrullinemia, Deficiency of Uridine Monophosphate Synthase (DUMPS) in all kinds of cattle and buffalo bulls.
|DNA test for screening of Bovine Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency (BLAD) in cattle and buffalo species (Code: 02_BLAD)||Rs. 600/- per sample|
|DNA test for screening of Deficiency of uridine monophosphate synthase (DUMPS) in cattle and buffalo species (Code: 05_DUMPS)||Rs. 600/- per sample|
|DNA test for screening of Citrullinemia in cattle and buffalo species (Code: 04_CITRU)||Rs. 600/- per sample|
|DNA test for screening of Factor XI Deficiency in cattle and buffalo species (Code: 03_FXID)||Rs. 600/- per sample|
|Cytogenetic screening of all livestock species (Code: 01_KARYO)||Rs. 1400/- per sample|
About 8-10 ml blood sample should be collected under strictly sterile condition in heparin coated vacutainer tubes (green top). Sample should clearly mention the Animal ID on the collection tube. However, description of samples must be provided separately with Animal ID, breed, sex, age. Information about the fertility status of the animal along with other requisites should also be provided in case of cytological screening. Blood samples must reach lab as soon as possible (not beyond 48 hours after collection for cytological analysis) in cooled (at about 4°C) conditions.
Contact : Dr. SK Niranjan, Principal Scientist, AG Lab-3 (9729000510)
- To encourage the electronic transfer of money, payment(s) for the services should, preferably, be done through RTGS/NEFT to the Institute account by the applicant in following Bank account. During electronic payment kindly mention the concerned “Service Code” in-text information, further information of e-transaction (with all descriptions) must be provided to the concerned Lab In-charge through email.
|Name of Account holder:||ICAR-UNIT-NBAGR, Karnal|
|Name of the Bank:||State Bank of India|
|Branch||Model Town, Karnal (Branch Code 01761)|
- Demand Draft or Bankers Cheque may also be accepted. The amount may be deposited through a Demand Draft in favor of ‘ICAR Unit NBAGR Karnal’ payable at any nationalized bank at Karnal.
- Payment of different charges should be received to the institute before delivering the result(s) of service/consultancies. Agency can also make prior booking for any service by making full payment in advance as per rate list.
- Service tax for various services will be levied as per existing norms for service tax under appropriate Act(s) of Govt. of India.
- For any services, an application for conducting examination/screening addressing to the Director, ICAR- National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources, GT By Pass Road, Karnal must be accompanied along with samples. Applicant must provide full address along with phone/mobile/fax/email in application.
- Collection of a sample(s) and their submission to the concerned lab will have to be carried out by the applicant himself/herself or on their behalf. Only in exceptional cases, samples can be collected by ICAR-NBAGR staff, for that applicant will have to provide TA/DA as per rule for the personnel.
- Samples will be received in the concerned lab in working hours of the working days only.
- Sample should clearly mention about the Animal ID on the collection tube. However, the description of samples must be provided separately with Animal ID, breed, sex, age. However, information about the fertility status of the animal along with other requisites should also be provided in case of cytological screening.
- Service will be provided as first come first serve basis. However, it is advisable to the applicant to contact the concerned lab In-charge for suitability of time in view of their research engagement as well as to avoid overcrowding of samples for analysis.